[Gllug] Broken Mac install

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 15:51:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:49:55PM +0100, Sarah Ewen wrote:
> > I have been advised that I can use various boot disk solutions to boot the
> > machine (it won't boot at all at the moment) and then copy over a minimalist
> > Mac OS 8 setup to get it to work.
>
> Sounds like the way to go. If you have any of the original CDs
> for the machine, you may be able to just put one of those in,
> and boot from that.
>
> Macs usually boot from CD if you hold the 'c' key while powering them up.
>
> I haven't used Yellow dog linux - maybe one of their CDs is bootable
> even, though that's less likely.
>
> Good luck and have fun :)

give debian a try, we have a nice very reliable g4 that is running it, although
there is somthing up with it  because you cant install macos on it without it
crashing :-?  it doesnt have macos on it any longer but does have a stupid
amount of partitions (see below)
---fdisk output---
G4:/home/bredroll# fdisk /dev/hda
/dev/hda
Command (? for help): p
/dev/hda
        #                    type name                 length   base     ( size
)  system
dump: name /dev/hda len 8
/dev/hda1     Apple_Partition_Map Apple                    63 @ 1        (
31.5k
)  Unknown
/dev/hda2        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                54 @ 64       (
27.0k
)  Unknown
/dev/hda3        Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh                74 @ 118      (
37.0k
)  Unknown
/dev/hda4      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh               512 @ 192
(256.0k
)  Unknown
/dev/hda5           Apple_Patches Patch Partition         512 @ 704
(256.0k
)  Unknown
/dev/hda6         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap              1600 @ 1216
(800.0k
)  NewWorld bootblock
/dev/hda7         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap                1024000 @ 2816
(500.0M
)  Linux swap
/dev/hda8         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /                  18874368 @ 1026816  (
9.0G
)  Linux native
/dev/hda9         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 bit_extra            141312 @ 19901184 (
69.0M
)  Linux native
/dev/hda10             Apple_Free Extra                  1584 @ 20042496
(792.0k
)  Free space

be warned, cfdisk doesnt work on this machine :-p

deleting the bootable ones makes the machine not work after an install

Ian

> --

----- Message of the Hour ------
Moooo :-)