[Gllug] Linux for old 486

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 16:01:45 UTC 2003

On Monday 01 September 2003 12:33, Ian Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just aquired an old 486 Hyperbook (8Mb RAM).
>
> It's currently got DOS on it, but I would like to get linux on here.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions for good floppy-based distros (it has no CD!)
>
> tomsrtbt won't boot (out of memory).
>
> I have tried mulinux, but I can't persuade that to boot either (it claims
> an invalid compressed format for the kernel).
>
> What I'd really like is something where I can boot it off a test/rescue
> floppy to see what the system looks like, then install it to my HD.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Or I am better looking at BSD or minix for something for this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian

What is it for? You could always try something like Busybox if you just want a
shell - but it depends what you want it for. Something like this isn't really
going to be any use as a general usage box, but if you want it for a router
or similar then there are various options available.

You might want to look at the sorts of things embedded linux devolpers use -
as while the environment you are targetting is tight, they do implement real
world systems in similar situations.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk