[Gllug] [Announcement] LinuxExpo'03

Mark Hill gllug_list at mark.ukfsn.org
Mon Sep 29 00:15:49 UTC 2003

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:48:48PM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Stephen Harker wrote:
> >
> > They don't have to. Its released under the BSD licence. :-/
>
> They don't have to pay for it however they do have to include the BSD
> copyright notice.
>
> I don't think you'll see it anywhere on a Windows machine as it boots or
> anywhere else on the machine.

Unless you count using strings on ftp.exe <g>. Apparently, if you do:
strings /mnt/WINDOWS/system32/ftp.exe | grep Copyright

This will pop up:

Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California

(I don't have Windows installed so I can't test this).

> I suspect it may be in some documentation though.

Yes it is. In one of the readme files on the Windows XP Pro disk, there
is a mention that Windows contains BSD and MIT licensed code.

--
Mark Hill

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk