[Gllug] AMD Hammer/Opteron/Athlon64

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Sat Sep 6 22:25:36 UTC 2003

Hi folks,

(i feel lik i am bragging)

I have just managed to get my two AMD opteron servers running the linux 2.4.22
kernel in 64bit mode, aswell as 64bit glibc and mysql server, perl compiled
quite nicely for 64bit aswell,

for reference, I am using debian (sid) as my install base, I had some troubles
with the normal installer not supporting the fusion mpt scsi but a quick trip
to google pointed my to the newest versions of the bf24 installer and modules
floppy, all worked a treat.

I installed standard i386 debian and got most things running happily, i
followed the unnofficial root on raid1 howto (found it on google) and got the
system booting from software raid1 off the 2 disks,

a quick trip to www.amd64.org and browse through the debian amd64 lists told me
how to build the toolchain to build the kernel for 64bit, (2.4.22 compiled out
of the box without any patches needed) apparently acpi is dodgy, but i have a
smp system so power managment is off.

i ran into bother building the 64bit glibc but actually managed to find debian
packages for it at at the debiab aloith project and on
www.jukie.net/~bart/debian

the performace increase from 32bit to 64bit kernel and man libaraies is
noticable. things like rebuilding the RAID1 mirror run about 16mb/sec faster
and it all seems just as stable as standard i386 stuff,

in short, dont be afraid. take the plunge! get x86-64, :-) I am seriously
impressed with this kit!

Ian

--
----- Message of the Hour ------