[Gllug] DTI Software License policy meeting

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Sep 4 17:29:21 UTC 2003

Richard Jones <rich at annexia.org> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 05:13:59PM +0100, Rich Walker wrote:
> >
> > I've just had the next installment in the Software License Policy saga
> > from the DTI. Since the meeting in question (3 October) coincides with a
> > conference in Germany that I seem to be going to, I was wondering if
> > anyone else was planning to go so I can channel stuff their way?
>
> What was this all about?

The government was looking at the "default policy for licensing of
software funded by the government". This covers what happens to software
if no other license is selected by the people writing the software. For
example, academic research work produces software, what license should
it be under.

A group of Free Software types, many on this list, went along to the
last meeting about this. If you look in your "outgoing mail to GLLUG
folder" around 28/29 April you'll find your mail on the thread :->

The discussion brought out that there was a more fundamental issue:
should all software produced with Government Funding be placed under an
Open Source license. I have converted the document they sent to PDF; it
should be at http://shadowrobot.dnsalias.org/rw/event15may.pdf

Now it looks like they're going to have another meeting, this one on 3
October.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml