[Gllug] GLLUG September Meeting

Zachary Struhs zjstruhs at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 2 11:02:50 UTC 2003

Date: 27th September 2003
Time: 12:00-17:00
Venue: Westminster University
Website: http://www.gllug.ukfsn.org/meeting-20030927.html
Admission: Free

The Greater London Linux User Group is having another meeting.  That's right,
there is a GLLUG meeting on Saturday 27th September 2003, between 12noon and
5pm.

We will be meeting in the New Cavendish Street campus of Westminster
University. This is in the shadow of the BT Tower, the nearest tube stations
are Great Portland Street, Warren Street and Goodge Street. You will find a
map at [ http://www.wmin.ac.uk/static/maps.asp ] or via www.streetmap.co.uk

NOTE: you will need to sign in at the front desk to gain access to the
building. There are building works at the moment but we'll post signs if the
entrance has moved.

Survey & Raffle

A survey will be conducted for the purpose of what future talks will be
pursued. All information collected will not be given or sold to a third party
in its raw form. We may publish demographic infomration on the website

As a pursuation we will have some raffle prizes for those who fill out the
survey and hand them back in at the meeting.

Schedule

12:00 - 12:45

Welcome and Introduction.
 Survey.
also opportunity to try and debug overhead projectors :-)

12:45 - 13:45

Lene Jenson - Red Hat Certification

Lene will start with an overall talk about the Red Hat Certified Engineer and
the courses which make up the qualification. She will also explain some of
the other courses Red Hat provides. She will describe the Red Hat Academy
too.

Lene is Norwegian, and she has been working with Linux for over a decade, with
Red Hat Linux since 1995. She is self-taught, co-founding a computer
organisation within her university, and having no money for computers or unix
licenses, Linux was the obvious choice. She has worked as an instructor and
sysadmin until she started working for Red Hat, 3.5 years ago.

13:45 - 14:45

Break

14:45 - 15:45

Formi - FreeBSD

Formi will be talking about FreeBSD and will be focussed on the Ports System,
which provides a simple way of installing the newest versions of programs on
FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD.

Formi enjoys playing with computers and has been using them mostly as a hobby.
He is interested in system administration and particulary networking.
Nowadays he runs Mandrake, Red Hat, OpenBSD and FreeBSD.

15:45 - 16:45

Break

16:45 - 17:00

Raffle and closing announcements

Do please be aware that we can't guarantee that the talks will happen at the
times stated, but we will do our best to make sure they do.

Other activities

The network lab, as it is known, can be used for rolling demos of Linux being
installations and to experiment with configuration.

We also have the Multimedia room. This will be used for people to set is up
their own machines. You can do this if you have something to show off, or you
are looking for a solution to some problems. If your are bringing in your own
machine, make sure you sign it in when you arrive, otherwise security won't
let you take it when you go! We'll have monitors, keyboards, mice, and
powerleads available. [So no need to lug all that stuff].

We will have access to some of the latest iso images and a CD-Burner.

If you decide to bring a PC, please have the serial number written down ahead
of time, in case it needs to be registered at the ground floor Reception. We
may also take a picture of you and your PC as proof of ownership.

The network lab and the multimedia room are the places you can go to, should
you be looking for sanctuary away from the formal talks. If we're lucky the
Refectory on the ground floor will have its food and drinks machines
restocked.

After

After the meeting, for those that want, the group will move off to 'The Green
Man' public house, very close to Great Portland Street. Even if you were
unable to make the daytime meeting, please feel free to join us at the pub.
To help you find the pub have a look at this external streetmap link.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk