[Gllug] Sharing NTL broadband using weedless router

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 26 19:46:40 UTC 2004

Benjamin Edwards wrote:
> Where I have moved to someone in the house has NTL and they wish to
> share the connection.  I have a NETGEAR weedless router/ADSL modem.
>
> So I figure connect the NTL Broadband modem thingy to the weedless
> router and disable the modem bit of my router.  Has anyone tried this. I
> am not exactly sure how to do this because I have no experience of cable
> modems (only ADSL).  I noticed that when using windows you have to run a
> program to authenticate the connection but I figure Mac Spoofing (which
> I think the router can do) should sort this, also not quite sure how to
> get the router to use the NTL box as a gateway.
>
> Has anyone out there connected a NTL Modem to a router/switch/hub?

I'm not familiar with your router but I have a home made OpenBSD one
sharing an NTL cable connection.

Apart from the signup bit, all you need is to set the IP address/netmask
of the external interface and the default route using DHCP. I assume
your router can do this. You will have to do something about DNS - does
the router have a DNS proxy or will it "pass on" the settings it gets
from its DHCP server to its clients? You could run a DNS server for the
whole network on your Linux box of course but then it would need to be
running permanantly.

I signed my NTL connection up using a Linux client connected through the
OpenBSD router - I had set the NAT up in OpenBSD and tested it with a
"fake cable modem" (a Linux box running a DHCP server) prior to doing
this so I knew it would work. This avoided having to have a web browser
installed on the router. There is certainly no need for the NTL CD. But
if your connection is already signed up and you can set its MAC address
you don't need to bother with this.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk