[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 10:52:03 UTC 2004

The worst speed comparison I've seen between open source apps running on XP
and Linux has to be Emacs. I have it on 2 identical machines running XP and
Fedora. On XP it boots in around 2 seconds. On Fedora you first get the
chrome, then an attempt to load some system-wide default, then the
specifications in my local .emacs file. It's an absolute dog. I had it
booting faster on Mandrake 9.2 but could never get it to boot as fast as on
XP and Emacs for XP doesn't even use an MSI installer.

Garry

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk