[Gllug] Interesting article on the MS monopoly

adam at thebowery.co.uk adam at thebowery.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 09:15:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 06:32:00AM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 Apr 2004 6:57 pm, Richard Jones wrote:
>
> > I've come to the conclusion that one of the best ways strategically to
> > rid us of the MS monopoly (and all the extra burden that entails on UK
> > business and the UK economy) is to get people using OpenOffice and
> > Mozilla -- on Windows.
>
> Yes.  That's certainly a good start, and makes later migration much easier -
> it's an approach I've used.  However - I still find the objection "How can it
> be any good if it's free?" sometimes difficult to overcome!

Both the Mozilla and OpenOffice have links on their homepage for people to make
donations so charge people a tenner for the CD and give the money away to the
people who are making the software.

A big favourite of mine to get people running Windows into free software is
GnuWin II http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/en/index.html I keep meaning to get a few sets
of these pressed up to hand out at shows etc. etc.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk