[Gllug] credit cards - chip and pin

john at sinodun.org.uk john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Apr 28 15:20:56 UTC 2004

[snip]
> I have just been hit with a substantial Hotel Bill from a hotel in
> Newcastle that I never stayed in, via my switch card.  From
> conversations with the Hotel it appears that someone checked-in and ran
> up the bill but told the receptionist that I would be paying on my
> switch card, which a third-party then provided the details thereof over
> the telephone.  Voila,  my bank account is debited and the fraudster
> concerned drives off into the sunset !   No doubt the car reg number
> that he/she provided to the Hotel was false.

In this case the loss is entirely the Hotel's.  Goods ordered over the
phone with a card - "customer not present" is the term - must be
delivered.  If they are collected, as was the case here, the CNP
transaction must be abandoned and a fresh one done using a physical card
and signature/PIN.
If you quote your card number over the phone when making a reservation
then the you must also present the card at the time of payment.
> No chip and pin scheme is going to stop this kind of fraud.

True.  If the Hotel's staff don't know what they're allowed to do then
anything can happen.
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk