[Gllug] wireless air con

Robert P. McKenzie rmckenzi at rpmdp.com
Sat Apr 17 09:01:49 UTC 2004

Murray wrote:

> Spring is in the air, and I appear to want to go shopping...
>
> I'm after a linux friendly, secure wireless base station.  I have a
> Buffalo (54Mb) one at the moment which is fine, except the only security
> option is WEP unless you're using XP.

I have a dualband (a/b) AP that has WEP (152 bits) with it's DHCP server turned
off and access restricted by MAC address.  The DHCP server runs on linux and
then only issues an address against the allowed MAC's.  Plus, running 802.11a,
not many use that so it's away from vast majority of the prying eyes.

I'd like to get FreeRadius working then I can do away with WEP and use something
like IPSec or even PPTP (yeah yeah I know all about the horrors of PPTP, but
it's just too easy with Windows machines).

--
Robert P. McKenzie                 |   GammaRay Technical Services LLC
rmckenzi at rpmdp.com                 |             rob at gammaray-tech.com
http://www.uk-experience.com       |      http://www.gammaray-tech.com
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk