[Gllug] set serial port irq

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 14:37:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 03:14:04PM +0100, Jack Richards wrote:
> Though its not always acurate, try having a look at the dmesg output and see
> what the kernel autodetected at boot, before setserial was run, this might
> give you some ideas.
>
> The values given look like the IBM XT spec for com1: and so should be correct.
>
> However, I may have missed the beggining of this thread and so, I am a little
> confused as to why the cable would have to be plugged in for the port to be
> initialised and activated.....

Jack

Sorry, I meant to put the output of $ dmesg | grep ttyS in my post!

$ dmesg | grep ttyS
ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

So it picks it up fine, only I beleive it doesn't register the
device in /proc/interrupts because there was no cable attached
at boot. What I wondered was could I get that entry into
/proc/interrupts so the kernel knows about com1 without
rebooting so I can use to to make a connection over a null
modem.

> Sorry fo my ignorance.

I'd only start worrying if you know less about serial ports
than me ;)

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk