[Gllug] natwest fantasticness

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 09:58:32 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 Apr 2004 22:14, Peter Childs wrote:
>     Its like this new Chip and Pin. If thats more secure than a personal
> thing like a signiture then I'm not a computer programmer. In this age
> where we think seriously of using a 128 bit encription the creditcard
> company go and use a 10bit key! Rather than a much large key that they
> were using before ie somones signiture. True passwords are not much
> stronger than a pin but they are usally twice the length with twice the
> number of different letters.
>     Sorry for stating my opions but the adverts were beginning to get on
> my nerves.

Given that most shop assistants rarely even look at your signature, someone
who steals your card can buy loads of stuff and get away with it.

If no-one knows your 4 digit pin except you (and why would you tell anyone?)
then someone who nicks your card has 1 in 9999 chance of guessing your
pin-number. A stolen card that requires a pin-number for all transactions is
practically useless to anyone else without knowledge of that number. And
while we're at it, why do switch cards have your sort code and bank account
number printed on the front. How stupid is that??

I know which version I'd rather have. New Zealand has had pin-number EFTPOS
cards since the 80's. Whats the problem?

SteveH
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk