[Gllug] Re:natwest fantasticness

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 17:54:19 UTC 2004

On Tue 06 Apr, Christopher Currie wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 09:53:38 +0100, Tethys <tet at createservices.com> wrote:
>

> >It's simple, really. If they actually made it secure enough, then most
> >people wouldn't be able to use it. Yes, the great unwashed really are
> >that stupid[1]. People struggle with a 4 digit PIN. Giving them a full
> >alphabet from which to choose would just confuse them. Plus, it's more
> >convenient for the retailer to only have a numeric keypad, rather than
> >a full keyboard.
>
> If you have half a dozen cards, some of which you don't use very often,
> it can be quite difficult to remember the rarely-used PINs. Solution: use
> the same PIN for all..how's that for security?

   And all too often I have stood near the back of the queue while someone
stuffs a series of cards in the machine. Very suspicious, but if I dial
999/112 and wait 3 hours......
   I live beside about the busiest road in Greater London, and have too
often needed to call the police about something really urgent, and so often
ended up trying to describe the problem to someone in Cardiff, Leicester,
Swansea, or wherever, then hang around for someone to turn up.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk