[Gllug] re: adsl ping problem

Pete Ryland pdr at createservices.com
Wed Apr 21 12:49:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 01:10:59PM +0100, gllug at minty.org wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 08:11:18AM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> > Something looks rather odd with your specimen ping report.
>
> ethernet, and the sequence count was all 1 because I didn't have an actual
> ping log so did a little copy/paste to demo the problem.  In reality, the
> seq. count *does* increase by 1 each time.

So that would mean that each group of 16 ping replies gets received at the
same time (given that the ping program usually sends ping requests at 1
second intervals).  This indicates that your problem is that traffic is
being stored up in a buffer somewhere and then only released at 16 second
intervals - maybe indicating a fault with your ethernet card interrupts
(keep checking /proc/interrupts whilst pinging).  Perhaps check to see if
you're sharing that irq with another device?  Which ethernet card are you
using, and which driver?

Pete
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk