[Gllug] OT: domain name appears on google by magic!

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 11:06:47 UTC 2004

Hi

I'm sure someone will be able to put this one to bed
very quickly.

I registered a domain, put some private stuff on the
web server it points to and left it.

Now when I go to google it shows up if I search for
mydomain where the dns record is www.mydomain.com
It's not a real word so it's the only result, BTW.

I'd expect to see this appear if I'd:

1. Added the url to google's list of urls
2. Someone else who already has an indexed page
has added a link to my page on their page (!).
3. The company with whom I registered my domain
has a "relationship" with google and has made
some of my info available to google.

The last one is what I'm guessing, but I'm interested
if someone has other ideas.

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk