[Gllug] Backup Software for Linux?

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Wed Apr 7 14:37:05 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 14:35, Andy Young wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm just about to embark on trying to add a mid range autoloader to a
> Linux system (Dell PowerVault 132T - LTO2).
>
> What's the current conscensus on the best Linux backup software?
I'm currently using dump, and mtx, with a LTO Overland Powerloader, the
result is pretty good.

Every night, every machine takes an lvm snapshot of its file systems,
these snapshots are then rsync'd with the copy on the file server, once
this has finished, a snapshot of the file servers file systems are made,
that snapshot is then incrementally backed up, the increment being from
the last full backup, not the last incremental one.

Once this has done, the tape is then deposited in the end slot in the
magazine, when i come into the office in the morning, i replace this
tape with one from rotation.

Every Monday night, after the rsync has completed, i do a full backup
using dump and mtx, every Tuesday morning, I rotate the magazine. at any
one time,  I have a full backup from 1, 2, and 3 weeks ago, plus an
incremental tape to take me from the full backup from week 1, to the
full backup 1 day before week 2, and the same from week 2->3, and
3->present.

This works fairly well for us, where we have a large amount of data, but
relatively little changes, we have ~tb of data to backup, and about 40gb
changes each week. LVM Snapshots are very useful too.

I will be looking at amanda over the next few weeks as it has good
network support and from other people's comments is a very good linux
backup solution.

As for the above, I've fortunatly never had to test it in anger, as we
always have a local copy backed up on raid/lvm snapshot, however I
usually do a test once a month to make sure I can actually restore a
file, and so far so good.

> Any advice / horror stories / success stories? Anyone running a
> PowerVault?

Worst horror story so far has been forgetting the PIN for the magazine.

Best Regards

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk