[Gllug] please help a total newbie... Desktop error.

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Apr 7 16:34:39 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:12:16PM +0100, daniel.booth wrote:
> i did as you suggested and this is the responce i got...
>
> ** ERROR **: file nautilus-directory.c: line 546 (add_to_hash_table):
> assertion failed: (g_hash_table_lookup (directory->details->file_hash,
> file->details->relative_uri) == NULL)
> aborting...

Mmmmm ... could it be a corrupt gconf database?  On the few occasions
when I've used gconf (specifically, when using galeon) I noticed it
had a tendency to corrupt itself on a regular basis.

Unfortunately if you wipe the gconf database then you'll lose all your
bookmarks and shortcuts and whatever.  Does anyone know if it's
possible to surgically examine/remove part of the database?

Ah, another idea:  try:

strace -o /tmp/log nautilus

and have a look at what files it's accessing just before it crashes
(at the end of that big log file).  That might give you some clue as
to what resource / file / gconf setting is broken.

Rich.

MONOLITH is an advanced framework for writing web applications in C, easier
than using Perl & Java, much faster and smaller, reusable widget-based arch,
database-backed, discussion, chat, calendaring:
http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk