[Gllug] natwest fantasticness

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 10:42:33 UTC 2004

> >    Its like this new Chip and Pin. If thats more secure than a personal
> > thing like a signiture then I'm not a computer programmer. In this age
> > where we think seriously of using a 128 bit encription the creditcard
> > company go and use a 10bit key! Rather than a much large key that they
> > were using before ie somones signiture.
>
> Really?  How often does anybody check your signature?  One time in 50 if
> you're lucky.

You'd be surprised.  Most shop assistants I know do check signatures, but they don't hold
the card next to your slip and move their lips while doing so - they see the signature
when they take the card, remember what it looks like and check the one on your slip
against the image stored in their mind.  This, they tell me is a much better way, as if
you hold two versions of anyone's signature next to each other they look different.

One big plus on the chip and pin jobby is that they don't expect you to write the pin on
the back of the card, so anyone who nicks the card can learn to type it!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk