[Gllug] Backup MX record

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Apr 20 12:26:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 12:59:52PM +0100, Kristian Davies wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We currently use our ISP for backup MX records, and i've noticed that 80% of
> spam comes through these relay servers.
>
> e.g.
> 10 primary mx
> 100 relay1
> 100 relay2
>
> Would there be any advantage from changing it to this:-
>
> 10 primary mx
> 50 relay1
> 50 relay2
> 99 primary mx
>
> I'm using amavis+SA.

Yes.  Spammers often send their unwanted crap to the secondaries,
because these often don't have any filtering software installed.
Filtering is instead done on the primaries, but by that point you're
left holding the bag.

Rich.

Learning Objective CAML for C, C++, Perl and Java programmers:
http://www.merjis.com/richj/computers/ocaml/tutorial/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk