[Gllug] natwest fantasticness

Christopher Hunter chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 06:37:19 UTC 2004

On Monday 05 Apr 2004 11:23 pm, Simon Perry wrote:

> Here here and not to mention whatever key logging / backdoor nastiness
> Mr & Mrs Average unknowingly have on their unpatched windoze systems.

It doesn't actually matter whether their Windoze box is patched or not - it's
fundamentally insecure, particularly since none of the virus / trojan /
malware "detectors" actually work, except to give the poor fools a false
sense of "security".

It was quite fun to break into the front desk machine (running NT4) at my
local branch of HSBC, in front of the "security camera".  It took all of 5
seconds, without any knowledge of the password, and gave me access to all
that branch's recent transaction records.  They've now decided that it's not
a good idea to have a computer within reach of the "public".

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk