[Gllug] Mail sorting

Richard richard_c at tpg.com.au
Fri Apr 16 11:49:05 UTC 2004

Hi all,

The situation: fetchmail retrieves my email from an ISP's POP3 server
and drops it into my machine where I read it using IMAP (netscape if
anyone cares). I'm then sorting email into different server-side folders
using the client.

This is quite ugly. I'd much prefer to do the sorting of messages on the
(IMAP) server, without troubling the client software. The goal here is
that every machine I use to look at my mail should see the same view,
and I shouldn't have to duplicate my sorting rules on every client
machine. I'm sure there's some clever thing I can do here, but I'm just
not familiar with what the various tools do. I didn't set up the server
either, but I can make changes to it.

Should I be looking at fiddling the IMAP server, or some "other" tool
for this job?

Thanks people,

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk