[Gllug] wireless air con

Murray gllug at minty.org
Fri Apr 16 19:29:34 UTC 2004

Spring is in the air, and I appear to want to go shopping...

I'm after a linux friendly, secure wireless base station.  I have a
Buffalo (54Mb) one at the moment which is fine, except the only security
option is WEP unless you're using XP.

I'm happy running ssh tunnels, so it's mostly the authentication I'm
after.  Something that authenticated against mac address would seem to
fit the bill.  I'm not sure if there is a better, non WEP option?

And totally OT, but does anyone know of a good source for a window based
air-con unit.  Buying & shipping from the US, inc. VAT, import duty and
a 1000W voltage convertor, can all be had for ~£250, but because we have
different electricity "cycle" (Hz) here, it appears that's a no go.

Which is a shame, given they seem to cost ~£1000 here for a comparible
unit.  The cheapest I've found is ~£500 so far.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk