[Gllug] re: system recover from 'bare metal'

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 10:25:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:02:47AM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> Personally, I found on a SCO Unix system (no flames please !!), that the
> quickest way to achieve a 'bare metal' recovery is to:
> a) boot from a floppy (so the root filesystem is unmounted)
> b) use 'dd' or equivalent the stream the entire naked root filesystem partition
>    to tape
> c) take a manual note of the exact partition size

IIRC one other reason for doing that with SCO boxes was that some bits of
licencing (either SCO or some 3rd party add on) looked at inode numbers,
a tar/cpio backup does not preserve these and so you can find yourself with
software that refuses to work since it thinks that it has been illegally copied.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

FATHERS-4-JUSTICE - Campaigning for equal rights for parents and the
best interests of our children. See http://www.fathers-4-justice.org
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk