[Gllug] upgrading Kernel from CD

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Fri Apr 2 14:23:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 14:51, gaurav verma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Win98 & RedHat Linux9 on my PC .Kernel is 2.4 .Now I hav
> got Linux Kernel 2.6.0 in CD but I don't know how to install software from
> CD on Linux .Also I want to know is there any special I have to take while
> upgrading Kerne

I don't wish to sound harsh, but upgrading from a 2.4 series kernel to a
2.6 kernel will take a bit of doing.

You might be better finding an RPM of the latest Redhat 9 2.4 series
kernel and installing that.
You can download Redhat 9 upgrades automatically over the network,
have a look at (for example) http://www.freshrpms.net

Please don't let me put you off trying to compile and install new kernel
- we all have learned by compiling and installing kernels.
But take some advice - ALWAYS keep your old working kernel on the
system.
And if upgrading via RPM, do 'rpm -ivh'

Also, and again I'm not trying to lecture, it is worth understanding the
kernel naming scheme.
2.4 refers to a series of stable kernels
2.5 is a series of development kernels (the second digit is odd to
denote this)
2.6 are a series of stable kernels, with some major changes

Could you tell us what exact number of 2.4 kernel you have
(I can't recall what the original RH9 kenel was).
you can get this by using the command 'uname -r'  where '-r' means
'revision'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk