[Gllug] Register article: "Open source UK" gets trade body

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Fri Apr 23 15:47:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 04:26:31PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> I'm unhappy with the name and focus too, but nevertheless my point
> stands that the free software community *needs such a body* to defend
> its interests.

Whether it needs one is debatable and probably irrelevant since it is
almost certainly unattainable (for the foreseeable future, anyway).  The
BMA represents a broadly homogenous group, whose individuals share a
large amount of common ground in terms of training, education and
experience.  They work in the same places, share the same pay rates, the
same paymasters and have common interests.  Free Software users, in
contrast, are a disparate group whose notional members often have little
in common (and can even be in conflict).  It doesn't add up.

The concept of Free Software is one that can do with some pushing but
the concept of a general "Trade Body" is entirely impractical.  I think
that Free Software will get its push from the work of the more focussed
groups that make use of it, not by some self-appointed bunch of
marketroids and freeloaders.

--
Bruce

The ice-caps are melting, tra-la-la-la.  All the world is drowning,
tra-la-la-la-la.  -- Tiny Tim.