[Gllug] Very small Linux computer

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Thu Aug 5 15:36:52 UTC 2004

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 Aug 2004 1:19 pm, will wrote:
>
>>Has anyone got any suggestions for a very small computer to run Linux?
>>It is for a robot and so really only needs a basic interface to the
>>world, no gfx, no sound etc.  Ideally able to support I2C and/or CAN
>>bus.  I would like to interface with this thing remotely, so wireless or
>>radio would be useful, but remote access it not a priority.
>
> Does it really have to run Linux?  Small robotic stuff is usually best done
> with a dedicated processor, and the PIC series from Microchip are often used.
> There are a number of high-level language compilers and assemblers for the
> PICs, some of which are available to us Linux types.

It could be a PIC or similar, but there is a limited amount of memory
and processing capability in one of these microcontrollers.  I am hoping
to progress to the point where I am building up a sonar map + other
sensor data, and I don't think a microcontroller is going to be up to
the job. Certainly I could use one to 'abstract' low level functions for
the robot, keeping higher-level stuff for the PC, but then I would have
to buy a microcontroller *and* solve the problem of mounting a PC to the
robot ;)  I would like to be proved wrong though,  something as low
power and simple as a PIC would certinly make it easier to develop.

Will.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk