[Gllug] How things change

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 3 08:55:38 UTC 2004

On Mon 02 Aug, Rich Walker wrote:

> Wasn't there also some issue about the disk controller chip (an 8271?)
> being (a) in short supply, and (b) hideously expensive (£40-£50 at the
> time)...

   They were superceeded in the PC world but required to fit the motherboard
on a BBC Micro, so their end of manufacture was one of the main reasons for
the design of the replacement BBC Master.

> [starting to feel like I'm showing my age]

   The BBC/Acorn computers were designed and produced to help people to
learn about computer techniques, and were indeed very successful for that.
Much of the final design of both hardware and software was done by BBC staff
because it did not appear that Acorn would meet the adult education
programme deadlines without help.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk