[Gllug] Can I scroll back a console screen

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 1 00:27:03 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-31 at 22:39, Dylan wrote:

> > have you tried shift+pageup ?
> > usually works for me...
>
> Does nothing, here unf :((

It should do something. The console scrollback buffer is a kernel
feature, so unless you're running something weird, it should be there.
The scrollback buffer is not maintained per VC, so switching to a
different VC will clear it. Shift-pageup and pagedown are the scroll
keystrokes. The size of the scrollback buffer can be set by passing
arguments to the kernel, as described in the Bootprompt HOWTO at
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/BootPrompt-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.2.

The only reasons I can think of for this to not work would be that
you're explicitly turning it off in your LILO/GRUB config, that your
kernel has been compiled with it disabled, or that you have some other
program running that's intercepting the keystrokes. I've never seen a
Linux machine where console scrollback didn't "just work".

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk