[Gllug] Remote X connection questions

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Aug 13 23:54:06 UTC 2004

Hi List,

I'm setting up an audio appliance to play media files on my stereo.
While I'm exploring and/or writing a web-based interface, it has been
suggested that I use a GUI jukebox program over a remote X session.
I've never tried remote X login before so have some questions:

How much of X would need to be installed?
Would it need to be configured for the server?
Could the server be run at init 3?
Would I need to install a desktop/window manager (beyond the libs needed
by the app)?
Can the login be made passwordless?

Cheers
Dylan