[Gllug] BSD

Martin A. Brooks martin at clues.ltd.uk
Mon Aug 30 09:32:32 UTC 2004

Henrik Morsing wrote:

> To me the FreeBSD package system seems like the ones Debian and Gentoo
>
>uses. I've never understood this statement.

Installing a package is very simple.  It's maintaining the box that's
the problem.   If I handed you a three year old FreeBSD box would you be
able to quickly and easily update it to all the current versions of all
the installed packages?  Plus security updates?

Whilst I'm sure you could do it, I'm pretty sure it would be neither
quick nor easy.  I ran a datacentre of about 200 servers which was 50/50
Linux and FreeBSD.  We found that 50% of the servers took 95% of the
maintenance time.

Regards

--
Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.