[Gllug] 'safe' deletion of files

Ian Scott mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 13 11:02:10 UTC 2004

> #define - just in case :)
>     secure  - delete with overwrites etc
>     safe - delete with move to .trash or similar
>
> Having this all combined in to one 'rm' would IMH(and inexperienced)O
> would be a good plan, ...

I suppose that if you want this, a flag to rm (rm --safe??) is the right way
to do it.  That way, you have a command that works like normal rm unless you
tell it not to - and users can set up their aliases as they wish.

My problem with this is more philosophical.  I expect unix to do what I tell
it.  That means I expect rm to remove.  Unix commandline tools are designed
to be powerful, and it is no bad idea to understand what they do before you
use them.  I believe that desktops are the place for trash cans, etc - not
rewriting of standard commandline tools.

On a side issue, why do we use rm?   I suspect that 'to clear up space on a
disk' would come near the top of the list...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk