[Gllug] ADSL modem -- WTF?

Amias Channer gllug at amias.org.uk
Tue Aug 3 12:58:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:22:39 +0100
adam at thebowery.co.uk wrote:

> I would be cautious of buying a Netgear DG834G as I have gone through
> 5 different firmwares before finding a stable one that didn't cause
> the router to crash between every 4 and 24 hours (and need a power
> cycle to get it running again) It appears that many people have had
> these problems but the latest beta firmware that can be found after
> hunting around a bit on the web does seem to have fixed these problems
> I also note that there is a newer firmware available to what I am
> running (version 1.05 vs. 1.04.04) but after the previous horrors I
> don't know if I want to install it.

I have one an its fine generally , it dropped the connection occasionaly
but always seems to come up soon enough. I'm not too far from the exchange
and the cable to the wall socket is very short .
Maybe you should ask the BT engineers to turn up the gain on your line .

The 1.05 firmware is available and seems to work fine , no dropped
connections yet and my dodgy wireless dongle seems to hold its
connection for a bit longer too. You can also turn off wireless from
the web interface very easily.

Anyone got any news on firmware mods for it yet ?

Toodle-pip
Amias
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk