[Gllug] Historical question

Kelv kelv at jml.net
Sun Aug 15 22:18:18 UTC 2004

Ian Northeast wrote:
> Simon Morris wrote:
>
>> Whilst talking about “old times” we brought up the subject of loading
>> applications from audio tapes.
>>
>> What was the capacity of a audio cassete??
>
> IIRC you could run them at 1200bps. A high capacity audio tape was 2
> hours, which allowing for 11 bits per byte makes 785KB.
>
> Considerably larger than the memory available in my Acorn Atom to load
> it into:)

I never owned an Atom, but if the tape recordings it read were anything
like the BBC or Electron there would have been an interblock gap (the
high pitched bit before the growl). Have we factored that in?

I remember being so impressed the first time I saw a game load from a
recording where they'd chopped out nearly all the interblock gap. Great
stuff! I'll get my coat now.

Kelv :)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk