[Gllug] BSD

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Mon Aug 30 12:08:49 UTC 2004

Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Installing a package is very simple.  It's maintaining the box that's
> the problem.   If I handed you a three year old FreeBSD box would you be
> able to quickly and easily update it to all the current versions of all
> the installed packages?  Plus security updates?

FreeBSD has a CVS based tool for updating the ports collection called
cvsup.  See http://www.freebsddiary.org/ports.php for a how to.

I managed to get a FreeBSD system updated no problem once I figured out
to use pkgupgrade instead of trying to update packages manually with
configure/make/install.  I've had more trouble in the past trying to
update Debian, with circular dependencies and stuff stopping working
(like pcmcia-cs) after updating, but that is probably as much to do with
my lack of experience with Debian tools as anything.  I wouldn't say one
was particularly more difficult to work with than the other, though.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk