[Gllug] Very small Linux computer

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Thu Aug 5 13:08:11 UTC 2004

Christopher Hunter <chrisehunter at blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Does it really have to run Linux?  Small robotic stuff is usually best done
> with a dedicated processor, and the PIC series from Microchip are often used.
> There are a number of high-level language compilers and assemblers for the
> PICs, some of which are available to us Linux types.

Specifically, under Debian:

apt-get install gpasm picp sdcc

gives you

picp: software to talk to the Microchip serial programmer (which can do
in-system programming with the right cable)

gpasm: an assembler for all Pic's

sdcc: a C compiler for a lot of 8-bit micros, which will code for PICs.

We usually attach PICs via CAN to a PC of some sort, possibly running
RTAI (www.rtai.org) which does very nicely for real-time stuff.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml