[Gllug] Swapping SW RAID 1 disks from PC to Sun

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 14 08:46:02 UTC 2004

On Fri 13 Aug, Nix wrote:

> I had one as well: the surge protector blew, but it seems not fast
> enough... :(

   I purchased some red components that look like disc capacitors, normally
high impedance but temporary short circuit with anything higher than peak
mains volts, and I have placed three in L/N/E delta formation both before
and after a fairly beefy common mode rejection filter. The majority of my
hardware is fed through this device so that everything moves together.
   Most of the mains feeders near here are underground, so are unlikely to
be hit.
   My TV and Radio aerials are on an aluminium pole with a massive eath
cable going straight to an earth rod below, which should allow a constant
discharge and reduce the chance of a sudden lightning strike. The coax
cables drop straight down to the ground, with an aerial distribution amp
sitting on the ground under the floor, before going to the TV tuner on the
computer.
   These kinds of precautions are usually sufficient to avoid problems,
although without any real guaranteed protection. However the number of
ground strikes is now very low because of the continuous discharge effect of
huge numbers of TV aerials pointing upwards.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk