[Gllug] Compact Flash, more or less power than IDE?

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Tue Aug 3 06:47:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 02:07, Ian Norton wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> i have one of those cheapo sandisk CF->PCMCIA cards, and in linux it shows as a
> ide device, I was thinking, if i run syslinux or loadlin off of a floppy to
> boot and then mount the cf card with the root fs on, would i be using much less
> power than running from the cdrom?

Just boot directly off the CF card. I have a CF<->IDE adapter.
I can't get a notebook sized drive <->CF adapter on Google, but you
could cobble something together.

I'm not talking about a PCMCIA adapter - I'd guess most if not all
notebook BIOSes won't boot from a PCMCIA drive. (Then again, if PCMCIA
CD-ROMs are bootable...)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk