[Gllug] 'safe' deletion of files

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Aug 13 12:58:43 UTC 2004

In message <16667.37988.832114.766964 at chiark.greenend.org.uk>, David
Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes
>On Thursday, 12 Aug 2004, Bernard Peek wrote:
>>I suspect that people moving from Windows to Linux will soon come to
>>expect this feature. I think that's an argument for using the "del"
>>command for safe deletions.
>
>Yes, you're quite right; if we are to have a "thing that removes files
>that isn't 'rm'", 'del' isn't a bad name - and if 'del' has become
>"safe deletion" in the Windows world, the "people get used to safe
>deletion" argument doesn't apply.
>
>Ultimately I hope that snapshotting filesystems will become
>ubiquitous.  Of course, they _do_ also have the disadvantage that they
>train users to be careless, but I think the advantages are so
>compelling that they outweight that factor.

I came into IT from the user side, so I'm a good deal more sympathetic
with their requirements than most. I'm all for a system that copes with
careless users. If you have 10,000 users it's unrealistic to expect all
of them to be careful all of the time. Systems should be resilient
enough to cope with the sort of accidents users have. Deleting the wrong
file is one of the commonest. I haven't yet had anyone delete that
annoying ".." file though.

Putting my management hat on for a while I have to say that a lot of
organisations are having to cope with the type of regulatory control
that I've seen previously in pharmaceuticals and avionics. This could
have two consequences.

The first is that sysadmins may be required by law to build resilient
systems and if that requires snapshots then they become mandatory too.

The second is a bit more worrying in that if a system is regulated and
required to be resilient then the use of unsafe deletion  may be
forbidden.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk