[Gllug] BSD

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Mon Aug 30 10:27:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 30, 2004 at 08:39:41AM +0100, Henrik wrote:

> > The lack of decent packaging systems (comparable to Apt) makes all
> > BSDs a pain in the neck to maintain.
>
> To me the FreeBSD package system seems like the ones Debian and Gentoo
> uses. I've never understood this statement.

One significant difference between the various packaging systems
available for Linux and the FreeBSD system is that the FreeBSD base is
not packaged.  In FreeBSD, packages are something that you install upon
the base system, while in a deb or rpm system, everything is in a
package.  This is not, in fact, a trivial distinction.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.