[Gllug] Writing C

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Tue Aug 17 10:16:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:35:41AM +0200, Nordlund, Niko wrote:

> SQL. I would need a SQL database engine that is, stable, can handle large
> databases (> 2GB), easily extendible with own functions (at least postgreSQL
> supports dynamic loading of functions written in c)

Oracle? :) And you've already made a suggestion of Postgres.

> C. As indicated above I would need to do a bit of C coding to get my
> functions available within SQL. I have some experience in using VB, but I
> would like to move over to C. Any suggestions which editor and compiler
> would be easy to learn? Preferably a nice GUI. I would also need to pass

Linux uses the GNU C compiler (gcc) for its compilation needs. I don't think
it's any more difficult to learn than any other compiler as such. I've heard
good things about the Intel C compiler if you want fast code for x86 only.

I can't recommend any particular editor, specially with a GUI - I personally
tend to prefer emacs for coding or writings.

Incidentally, if someone could say how to switch the indentation in C-mode from
two spaces to four spaces, it'd be much appreciated.

> data to and from a database. Also, recommendations on what C-books to read
> are welcome.

Kernighan & Ritchie, The C Programming Language

> Intranet tools to SQL. We are, at the moment, using VB to pass info between
> our intranet pages and SQL. What would be the easiest Open Source way of
> doing this?

PHP, probably. You could also do it in Perl, or, if you're feeling particularly
twisted, in C.

> VNC. I would like to give a "thin client" a go. Obviously on local network
> we have enough capacity to run X window, but going to another continent
> would need something else. My issue relates to user authentication in VNC.
> Then there is the question of how to do this in a secure fashion.

It should be enough to tunnel VNC over ssh. X may work, depending on the
connection speed. I've certainly run Mozilla acceptably over an ADSL
connection.

Dan
--
Some programming languages manage to absorb change, but withstand
progress.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk