[Gllug] Badblocks indicates disc is OK?...

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 13:10:59 UTC 2004

I had this with a 20Gb maxtor drive and a western digital one too,

while in my server they would cause the box to reboot when writing to
certian parts of the disc (kinda evil)
re-partitioning and re-formatting did nothing, it even did it in a
windows machine that i attempted to use with the maxtor RMA software.

consequently i was unable to get an RMA number for the drives because
the program would reboot :-/ so i gave up.

recently i was (as you) preparing to throw them away, but, i like to
keep old crap like this :-) so stuck them back in the same server (which
is now doing nothing important) with the same disk controller,

since then ive used the drives without problem or error, and even used
the two of them as a mirrored raid array which i have filled up a couple
of times.
maybe they do just get better. I'm more inclined to think that the
maxtor gremlins ran away to play in my bigger drives when i gave up on
the 20gb one.

Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk