[Gllug] Re: Writing C

Nordlund, Niko Niko.Nordlund at storaenso.com
Wed Aug 25 16:43:25 UTC 2004

Thanks to all of you who bothered to answer.

I am taking Ian's advise and ask for someone to come over for one or two
days to give us a good kick start to the wonderful world of Linux. Anyone
interested, please contact me off the list.

We would need someone to show us solution in practice so we get a feel how
things work in Linux. We should be able to tweak the details later our
selves (or hire you to do it as well). I have some outdated user experience
of Unix, but I am out of my depth in admin side. I am envisioning one or two
day Linux training at least on following topics.
-Basic security settings: starting from hosts.deny, tripwires, user rights
etc. Show us the basics, we can tweak it later.
-X window over SSH. We have a few Fedoras installed, so just set it up and
show us a round.
-Setup a Linux Email program that uses Outlook server. Ahh, to get rid of
the windooze desktop would be good.
-Samba fileserver. Again big emphasis on security.
-VNC or equivalent with password authentication. We have VNC setup, but we
are missing some small details on the password side...
-Setup PostgreSQL, pgAdmin with password authentication, backups, etc.
Again, programs are installed, now we need someone to show us how a few
basic thing are done.
-Secure socket web application with password authentication on top of
PostgreSQL. Just point us to the right direction.
-ABC of C programming. I did study C way back. However, I would need to have
someone in practice showing me around an editor, debugging and compiling.
Again, details I can workout later, as long as someone just gives me a kick
start.

Best regards,
Niko Nordlund