[Gllug] Writing C

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Aug 17 10:32:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:08:55AM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> Nordlund, Niko wrote:
> >
> >SQL. I would need a SQL database engine that is, stable, can handle large
> >databases (> 2GB), easily extendible with own functions (at least
> >postgreSQL
> >supports dynamic loading of functions written in c)
>
> Postgresql. Oh, and you can write functions in a whole range of languages.

PostgreSQL 8 is even better, with much improved Perl support for
procedure languages, point in time recovery, nested transactions
and syncronous master->multi-slave replication. Even less reason
to use Oracle for any small/medium sized application :-) PG works
with > 2 GB dbs no trouble. Hell, it can do full text search 1GB of my
email archives in < 0.2 seconds with the tsearch2 module :-)

> >Graphical interface for developing and administering the SQL database.
>
> I'd suggest pgadmin (http://www.pgadmin.org), if you want web-based
> access then phpgadmin (http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net) - or RedHat's
> java-base database tools if you're that way inclined (google for rhdb)

Tora supports postgresql as well as oracle now & is pretty good equivalent
to Toad which is what most weendoze people seem to like. Tora has the benefit
of being open source too.

Dan.