[Gllug] [OT ?] Filesystem ACLs

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 10 23:06:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 12:47, John Hearns wrote:

> > To achieve anything useful, you'd probably have to intercept open calls,
> > and make a safe copy of the file before allowing them to do anything.
> I heard about this at the UKUUG conference over the weekend.
> It should handle the task of intercepting the open calls.
>
> http://www.dazuko.org/faq.shtml

I read about something similar once upon a time. It was a software
package called "Entomb" that intercepted system rm calls using a library
preload. Whenever a file was deleted, entomb would make a safe copy
somewhere, and there were a couple of entomb specific "undelete"
commands. The comment made about it was that it was problematic, as
users got used to the safety net it provided, and then got very cross
when they accidentally trashed important things on systems not running
the entomb software. As the end of the day, there's no substitute for
educating users. This is, of course, easier said than done.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk