[Gllug] Writing C

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Aug 17 09:58:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:35:41AM +0200, Nordlund, Niko wrote:
> SQL. I would need a SQL database engine that is, stable, can handle large
> databases (> 2GB), easily extendible with own functions (at least postgreSQL
> supports dynamic loading of functions written in c)

PostgreSQL.  Stable, powerful, fast, handles huge databases
effortlessly.  You can also dynamically load C functions into the
database server, but it's probably not recommended because C functions
can cause the server to crash if they're not written correctly.

> Graphical interface for developing and administering the SQL database.

There is such a thing for PostgreSQL, but I find it much easier to use
the command-line tool (psql) which has tab completion.

> C. As indicated above I would need to do a bit of C coding to get my
> functions available within SQL. I have some experience in using VB, but I
> would like to move over to C. Any suggestions which editor and compiler
> would be easy to learn? Preferably a nice GUI. I would also need to pass
> data to and from a database. Also, recommendations on what C-books to read
> are welcome.

'gcc' is THE C compiler.  Don't know much about IDEs - I use xemacs,
make, bash and gcc just fine.

> Intranet tools to SQL. We are, at the moment, using VB to pass info between
> our intranet pages and SQL. What would be the easiest Open Source way of
> doing this?

Tons of different options here.  If you're committed to using C, then
take a look at http://www.annexia.org/freeware/monolith which will let
you write webservers in C which access a PostgreSQL database.

Most people will use a language like Perl (http://www.perl.org/) and
the Apache webserver.  The relevant tools you'll want to be looking at
are DBI and mod_perl.

Of course, now is a good time to advocate mod_caml:
http://www.merjis.com/developers/

Rich.

Perl4Caml lets you use any Perl library in your type-safe Objective
CAML programs. http://www.merjis.com/developers/perl4caml/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk