[Gllug] Re: MySQL Bashing - very very cheap hosting

Richard Huxton dev at archonet.com
Mon Aug 23 08:22:06 UTC 2004

Jonathan Hartley wrote:
>> People seem to confuse it for a relational database.
>

> I've used the major proprietary databases for Geographic Information
> System work (ie. maps), and I was about to install MySql at home to
> teach myself about it and see what GIS / spatial stuff could be
> achieved with Open Source tools. Since this list has established that
> maybe MySql isn't all I was expecting it to be, can I ask whether
> PostgreSql is any better? Are there any other projects that you guys
> would recommend me to check out as a GIS/spatial database server?

I don't know anything about GIS but I am familiar with PG and do know of
a PostGIS project that is active. There are also various
geographic-oriented types/operators/indexes included, but again I don't
really use them.

The background buzz on the mailing lists suggest to me that PostgreSQL
is used for GIS quite a lot.
--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd