[Gllug] DVD-RAM on Linux

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Aug 10 19:03:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 18:59, Henrik Morsing wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, John Winters wrote:
[snip]
> > Can anyone give any guidance on how one is meant to use a DVD-RAM
> > device, or point me at any relevant documentation?
>
> Yes, I don't know if you can partition it but normally you use th eUDF
> file system on it. You need to enable this in the kernel.

My research indicates that you can use your choice of file system.  I've
found references to both FAT and ext2 being used.

> I don't know if Linux can actually format a UDF drive but it's probabaly
> already formatted (unless you're partitioning broke it) so you should just
> be able to mount it as type UDF.

This set off a train of thought.  It seems that the kernel is simply
failing to recognise it as a device which might have partitions on it.
Fdisk can see the partition but it isn't making it into the system
partition tables.  I'm not too worried about destroying media because
they seem to be about 3 GBP each, complete with caddy.

I tried "mke2fs /dev/hdc" and that worked fine.  I can then mount the
disk and copy files on and off.

I'd still be interested if anyone knows of any documentation for it.

Cheers,
John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk