[Gllug] Very small Linux computer

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 12:19:12 UTC 2004

Has anyone got any suggestions for a very small computer to run Linux?
It is for a robot and so really only needs a basic interface to the
world, no gfx, no sound etc.  Ideally able to support I2C and/or CAN
bus.  I would like to interface with this thing remotely, so wireless or
radio would be useful, but remote access it not a priority.

I am programming it in c++, so I need to be able to run self compiled
c++ apps on it.  I have looked at the miniITX machines, but I would gess
they would draw a fair amount of power for the features on the machine I
would not be needing[0], but set up would be dead easy and I could just
plonk a wireless PCMCIA network card in it.  I had also considered
trying to find an old laptop, pentium or something.  The uCsimm looks tasty:

http://www.uclinux.com/

although pricey and it looks pretty difficult to get running.  Cost is a
large issue, I have very little money at the moment (between jobs).
Really I am just after some recommendations, is there anything I have
missed that will do the job?

Thanks,
Will.

[0]Would take up a fair amount of room too.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk