[Gllug] DVD-RAM on Linux

Tethys tet at createservices.com
Wed Aug 11 12:16:01 UTC 2004

John Winters writes:

>I can get so far - "fdisk /dev/hdc" allows me to partition the drive,
>but when I try "mke2fs /dev/hdc1" I get a "no such device" error.

My DVD-RAM had two LUNs, the first as a read only device, the second as
a read/write device. In order to be able to write to the thing, I needed
to have CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN configured in my kernel. As for choice of
filesystem, UDF would probably be a better option, but I wasn't doing
anything particularly clever, and I just used ext2 on mine. But DVD-RAM
media has a much lower read/write cycle lifetime than a hard drive, so
ext2/3 is a poor choice if you're using it for anything other than the
occasional backup.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk